Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Werewolves, CIA, and the Russian mafia


First of all, I'll put up what order the books in this series go in because I had some small confusion with that, as mentioned in previous posts... I just finished the second installment and can't wait to get the third (again... I wish I'd just kept it, but I didn't know I'd fly through the second one so quickly. -.-).

13 to Life
Secrets and Shadows
Bargains and Betrayals

Essentially, the series surrounds Jessie Gillmansen as she a) copes with her mother's death and her changing family life, b) struggles to be the stronger person in her friendship with Sarah, the reason Jessie's mom died, c) begins to discover the strange secrets surrounding the Rusakovas, a family just moved to her hometown of Junction from Russia with more than a few tricks up their sleeves.

I love this series because the writing style is interesting for pop fiction, but most of all, I love that the female protagonist has a brain. It's astounding how much better the story is! She's normal, down to earth, flawed, and very smart. It's more than just her growing interest in/romance with the youngest Rusakova boy, Pietr, that builds the foundation of the story, it also involves problems with her friends, family, and self.

In other words, there is more to think about than just making goo-goo eyes at the male protagonist. Plot twists are our friends and seem to be a dying (and very useful) tool in writing.

RECOMMENDED. Read it. (:

No comments:

Post a Comment