Friday, September 16, 2011

How goes that readin'...

Well, 'kay.

So this week, I've read...
- Dead Until Dark and Living Dead in Dallas by Charlaine Harris
- Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim by David Sedaris
- The Book of Useless Information

Starting off with the Charlaine Harris books, you may have heard of these in conjunction with the HBO series, True Blood. This is the basis of that show and I'll say this right now, the books are so much better than the show.

The series is called The Sookie Stackhouse books, named after the telepathic main character who works as a waitress in a bar called Merlotte's in her hometown of Bon Temps, Louisiana. Vampires have just "come out of the coffin," so to speak and are surrounded by mounds of controversy and prejudice by humans. Some of them are as good as vampires can be, some are really, really bad.

This series has been compared to the Twilight Saga on multiple occasions by Twilight readers who have obviously never read a Charlaine Harris novel. The only similarity I can find between them is that yes, the main characters are a vampire-human couple and they do have some issues in their relationship. But that's where the similarities end.

DEFINITELY recommended. They're great and in a genre all their own.


Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim was a book I simply wasn't sure about. I picked it up, looked it over, thought that it could be an interesting read and then looked at the library code on the side.

I almost set it down because the code claimed it was nonfiction.

However, deciding that I need to get over this fear of nonfiction at some point, I checked it out. And I actually love it. David Sedaris is revolutionary in my mind because he has made an apparently nonfiction work read like fiction. There are many, many times I forget that what I'm reading isn't just a story imagined up by the author.

Definitely, definitely recommended, especially if you feel compelled to give nonfiction a shot, but you are like me and shy away from it. I swear, it's unlike any nonfiction book you have ever read.


And, at last, one of my greatest loves, The Book of Useless Information. Not only does the society who writes these books have a cute squirrel on all of their covers, but I have learned so much just by flipping through this book. Filled with random, silly, and sometimes what-worthy facts that you really don't need to know (ever), it's very, very entertaining and, guess what? I'd say it counts as nonfiction. (:

I've also found that a lot of the facts in these books come up as questions on game shows like Who Wants to Be A Millionaire. So this would be helpful if you should ever aspire to be on a game show.

Recommended because, hey... Who doesn't like randomness?
Or, I suppose if you don't want to read it, I try to flip to a random page almost every day, pick a fact I like, and post it as a status. If you're friends with me already, you probably just realized who I am, haha. (:

No comments:

Post a Comment